Welcome Blog Partiers

by Heligirl on May 20, 2010

Hello Blog Party 2010 visitors. If I did this right, this welcome post will show up at the top of my blog until May 21. I’m still blogging daily though. Those posts should show up just below this one.

I’m so excited you’ve stopped by to visit. I’ve cleaned the house, brought out the nice china, and even removed the dog pee stain from the rug. Don’t you feel special? Here, have a G&T and I’ll show you around. Don’t worry if you spill. I’ll blame it on the dogs.

I’m Jen and I left a life as a rotorcraft rogue (helicopter pilot) to become a domestic diva (mom who’s one hairy eyeball away from the loony bin). I use diva as tongue in cheek as you can get. I try to menu plan. When I do, it’s pretty good. I cook. Sometimes it turns out really good. I make my own baby food.  I try to come up with creative things for the kids to do. I take pictures, but like everything else, I don’t have the time to dedicate to make it awesome, so the photos are OK. Thing is, I do the best with what I have and there you have it. At the end of the day everyone is fed, dressed, and clean. I usually am too, but not always.

This be us.

We live in Seattle, where I work part time for the sole purpose of using multisyllable words for a few hours most days. I have two little Rugrats, Sweetness, who is 2 ½ and Mr. Man, who just turned one and was slapped silly for the privilege by his big sister.

I’m fiercely dedicated to Positive Discipline so I’ve committed to writing an article every week or so on a parenting topic and how to approach it with Positive Discipline. I have a whole section on this parenting technique if you’d like to learn more.

Want to pee your pants? We’ve been trying to convince Sweetness that using the potty is in fact a good thing. Despite hours and hours, a library of books, and two potty chairs, she’s yet to get the hang of it while her brother is a pro. However, she recently shared her knowledge of poo and what that should look like in a full diaper with her dad. This is the funniest post I’ve ever made. For all my embarrassing parenting moments, visit the category Embarenting.

I also have a guilty pleasure (Deadliest Catch) which through a strange twist of fate put me on a collision course with the folks involved in said guilty pleasure. As a result, I’m working with a few Deadliest Catch captains and crew members which has been an amazing experience. Great guys. Gotta love networking. Discovery Channel rocks!

On the more serious side, I’ve shared some deeply personal stuff that I hope helps people when it comes to raising their own children. Specifically, it’s important to know that conditional love is child abuse in my book and sometimes I fail. Yes, it’s hard to believe. Please don’t unfriend me or cut me from Twitter. I’m just human and need to be loved”¦

So here you’ll find the daily crazy with a sprinkle of lessons learned, helpful parenting tidbits, and the occasional crazy story that will help you pass that kidney stone that’s been bothering you. So sit back, enjoy, and, if you likey, please do sign up to follow Heligirl on Twitter, “like” me on Facebook, or get an RSS of Heligirl in your reader. It’s all good. And thanks again for stopping by. Mind the rotors.

amber May 16, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Just stopping by for the party – thanks for the great introduction!! I’m excited to read your post on the little guys potty training…but for now I’m off to bed.
I’m following now!
amber 🙂

Gina May 17, 2010 at 6:53 am

Hi! Found you through the blog party – I’m your newest follower!
Gina

torie @ Life With Rylie May 17, 2010 at 8:10 am

Blog Party Hop! What a beautiful family!! Thanks for the introduction!

Mama B May 17, 2010 at 9:01 am

Blog party hopping! You have a super cute header! And a beautiful family! I try to menu plan too, doesn’t always happen. And I love to cook. I plan on making my own baby food when Lucas is ready for solids. If you have any recipes…!

Michele May 17, 2010 at 9:02 am

I’m now a follower from the D-List Blog Hop. I was reading your post about emotional abuse and I think it’s really interesting. My step-father was very emotional abusive and it left a lasting effect on me, informing what I will and won’t do when raising my children. i never took the victim route, so I think (I hope) that I will raise them in a very happy home, with the right amount of structure. I think that you can still be strict when needed without being cruel.

LeeAnn May 17, 2010 at 9:13 am

Hi Jen! I’m stopping by from the blog party.

I, too, hate potty training already and we just started. Your “funniest post ever” was quite hilarous, and I can’t wait to read more!

Jennifer @ Life with the Lebedas May 17, 2010 at 10:51 am

Stopping by from Blog Hop! OOH, Potty training was not my thing! I tried so hard to make everything perfect! lol Doesn’t work that way!
Can’t wait to read more!!
Jennifer

Jamie Bishop May 17, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Look forward to reading more. Stopping by from the d-list party.

Devan @ Accustomed Chaos May 17, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Hello! Stopping in from the blog party. Thanks for the intro to your family – you are all so cute!

Jeannette May 17, 2010 at 1:36 pm

This is gonna drive me loony! You look like an actress and I can not for the life of me remember her name! Arg… I’m following now so I’ll come back if I can remember. Anywhoodle. I’m here from the D-List blog hop.

Jeannette May 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Uma Thurman! It’s your big beautiful smile. And the curly hair too. I can’t find the pic that made me think of her when I saw you, but I found this one that works with the smile.

Gretchen May 17, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Blog Party Hopping! I love that you incorporate helpful tips with your posts! I will be sure to look around more. I’m not a fan of gin, but I brought my own vodka, I’ll share.

Tanya @ Little Life Improvements May 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Yay, another potty training mom! My son is 26 months old and we’ve tried a couple of times now – it’s NOT going like they say it should in the books… 🙂 So, we’re taking another break! Love your intro post – it sounds like you have a great sense of humor!

BTW, stopping in from the D-Listed Blog Hop!

Mama Bird May 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Great to meet you. Popping by from the d-list, following and looking forward to reading about your parenting advice. My almost 3 year old is turning into that terrible 3 thing I have heard so much about! Ahh!

Krista @ Not Mommy of the Year May 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm

hi. i’m tyring to make my way through the d-list blog hop. but i will definitely be back to read your posts on discipline. that part of parenting scares me way more than the “keeping her alive” part that we’re in right now. ::sigh:: Nice to “meet” you!

Steph May 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Nice to meet you…another D-Lister here! We’re getting ready to start potty training and I’m already scared 😉 I don’t remember what it was like to potty train my daughter…it was so long ago!!

Kate May 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Stopping by from the Blog Party! I’m going to head over & read your funniest post! And I frequently blame spots on the carpet on the dog too! lol I’m a new follower!

Kate May 17, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Oh & I’m also a domesticated diva!

Nicci @ Changing the Universe May 17, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Wonderful introduction!

And really, a helicopter pilot? How neat! It’s always been my dream to learn how to fly! I’m excited to get to know you and your family!

Melodramommy May 17, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Hey Jen, loved reading about you. Wow, helicopter pilot amazing! The blog design goes perfectly. I’d love to read your posts about discipline. I will head there next and be following. I have yet to post my welcome post from the party, but will soon. Nice to meet you and you have a beautiful family.