Modern Art?

by Heligirl on June 9, 2010

in Daily Ramblings,Photography

Now for something completely different. I recently took Mr. Man to a research study at the University of Washington’s child development lab. At the end of the 45 minute study, he was presented with a box of toys. He could choose one as his thank you gift. He chose this little toy camera toy that makes camera noises (but doesn’t take photos).

Needless to say, this suddenly became Sweetness’s favorite toy, ever (possibly because it was her brother’s). She walked all over the house for days “taking pictures” and telling us, her brother and the dogs to say “cheese.” This gave me an idea.

Even though her birthday is several months away, I figured one of those kid digital cameras might entertain her this summer as well as teach her some basic visual and technical skills. With that lofty goal in mind we hauled it down to Toys R Us yesterday and picked up a camera that is pretty sturdy, but not too high tech. After we got home I showed Sweetness the basics and off she went, shooting away then reviewing her photos. I turned off the flash to save batteries (so many shots are blurry).

I have to say, it was incredibly fascinating to see what she shot by the end of the day. I also gained a real appreciation for her perspective. What an amazing look into her little mind. Granted, some of it was to just play with the camera, but some of it was of things she cared about.  So, without further ado, I present to you Sweetness’ first photo display, chosen from 200+ pictures.

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud June 9, 2010 at 11:26 am

I love these photos! I’m with you. It’s so great to look at a child’s world from their perspective. My favorite shot? I love the photo of the yard. I love that you can see the screen in the photo. You may have stumbled on a budding photographer!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my “Reading” post a couple of days ago. I’m playing catch up! Thanks again.

Kristi, Live and Love…Out Loud
@TweetingMama

Heligirl June 10, 2010 at 10:27 am

Yes, I was really impressed that you can see the screen and the yard in full focus. The camera did a really good job when she remembered to hold still and not be too close. Not bad for her first 24 hours EVER being a photographer.

Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings June 9, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Just discovered your blog! My oldest also looooooves taking pictures. We got her a kid camera for Christmas and she uses it some, but unfortunately likes my small point and shoot better (because it takes better pictures, ha ha). I love seeing her pictures after she’s been at it — totally a window into a kids perspective….

Heligirl June 10, 2010 at 10:28 am

The camera we got does a lot more, like shoot video and let her make funky frames and such. I figure as she grows and learns she can start playing with those features, which Mommy’s camera doesn’t do. Here’s hoping she’ll stick with her own camera. 🙂

Pamela June 9, 2010 at 5:56 pm

What a great idea – I totally love her pics! I think you may have a budding photographer on your hands:)

The Bipolar Diva June 9, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Those are so cute! My 4 yr old grandson asks to “borrow” my camera all the time. I’m amazed at some of the pics he takes! His birthday is Sunday, I just may have to get him a camera too!
Thanks for sharing!

Kris June 10, 2010 at 8:15 am

That is so cool. My little one actually participated in a real ART SHOW in a gallery in Georgetown a few months ago. Funniest part was one of his photographs actually sold – to a stranger. LOL

nic June 10, 2010 at 9:02 am

I’ve been thinking about buying my daughter one as well. She stumbled across an old digital camera of mine a few weeks ago and has been doing the same thing, walking around demanding everyone pose for her. I think you’ve just given me the push I needed. Toys R Us, here we come.

LCW June 10, 2010 at 9:52 am

I really like the picture of the toy…is it a train? I love her perspective on life. And some people pay big bucks for fun art like that. Perhaps she has a calling.

Alexandra June 10, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I love this, it’s adorable. Even the pictures are just adorable.