Saturday Playdate

by Heligirl on July 10, 2010

in Daily Ramblings,Positive Discipline

Today I have the extreme pleasure of heading over for a Saturday Playdate at the Life of Rylie … and Bryce too!

LeeAnn, Rylie and Bryce’s super mom, has been having one tough time when it comes to picking the kids up at daycare. Seems Rylie all but goes into hurricane mode when mom arrives, especially when LeeAnn tries to pick up little Bryce. Rylie often keeps the storm going well into the evening.

LeeAnn asked me to come on over to talk about what might be going on with Rylie and how she might make picking the kids up at daycare and the rest of the evening far more pleasant.

LeeAnn’s story sounded all too familiar and I have just the trick for her to try. Stop on by to see what advice I have to calm those after daycare storms.

If you’re visiting from Life of Rylie…and Bryce Too!, welcome. It’s a pleasure to have you stop by. I try to write an article a week or so about positive discipline/compassionate parenting techniques I’ve been learning. I wrap this around my regular blogging of life in Jen’s World. With an almost 3 year old and a 1 year old, a part time day job, and a full time mommy job, life rarely get’s boring. In fact, I’m often one hairy eyeball away from the loony bin.

Want a peak at the full crazy? Check out the time my daughter “cupped” daddy or any of the embarassing parenting situations I’ve coined “embarenting”. Or what the toys do when no one is looking. For a little more serious look, see how I’ve vowed to break the cycle of emotional abuse in my family and how my deep commitment to positive discipline came about. To learn more about positive discipline (also called positive parenting, compassionate parenting, connection parenting and a few other things), just click on over to the whole section on positive discipline where I put together some background. All the articles I’ve written and posted here or guest posted on other blogs can be found here. You’ll want to bookmark this and don’t hesitate to leave a comment on a topic you’d like me to cover. I love sharing this stuff and am happy to do it here or as a guest blogger.

I hope you’ve enjoyed our playdate and I’ll be back from vacation tomorrow to give you the full monty on how I managed the week. Did I stay focused on family, or did I do too many chores and end up more tired than relaxed? Check back to see.

LeeAnn July 10, 2010 at 5:43 am

Thank you so much for coming over to play today! And thank you for the great advice! Everything you said made total sense and I have already been implemeting your suggestions. I think it is going to take a little time to establish the “perfect” routine, but our evenings are already getting a lot better. 🙂
LeeAnn recently posted: Saturday Playdate – Heligirl

July 10, 2010 at 6:41 am

That’s so cool LeeAnn. I’m glad to hear it!! It was so fun to visit.
Heligirl recently posted: Saturday Playdate

Mungee's Ma July 10, 2010 at 6:53 am

I really enjoyed this guest post! I need to stop by here more often!
Mungee’s Ma recently posted: Did You Know

Heligirl July 10, 2010 at 7:24 am

So cool to meet you Mungee’s Ma. I saw what you wrote on LeeAnn’s site. I’m so psyched you are wanting to follow this parenting technique. I’ve just been so very, very happy with how it’s working. And it’s never too soon to start. A big step is how you talk to the kids and you can be practicing that now – framing things in positives. For instance, your little one is throwing food on the floor from the high chair, you can say “food stays on the tray” rather than “don’t throw food.” It might fall on deaf ears now, but it will really help you get into the habit. Now that my 3-year-old is listening to me, I’m really in the habit of how I say things. A great crash course is the free webinar I put at the top of my site. I’ll actually be writing about that this week.

Mungee's Ma July 10, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Great, I’ll definitely have to check out the webinar. A problem we are having right now actually is that Mungee always grabs the curtains when she’s on the changing table. I usually say “No grabbing curtains”, but she keeps doing it. How could I positively phrase things so they fall into line with positive parenting? Thanks!
Mungee’s Ma recently posted: Did You Know

Heligirl July 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Humm, that’s a good question. A positive phrase might be “curtains are for looking only when we’re doing a diaper change.” What might be more effective is having a distraction. Possibly a toy she can only play with when on the changing table. That way you can say, “curtains are for looking, but ducky here is for touching. Want to cuddle ducky? He’s going to give you a kiss…”

Mungee's Ma July 10, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Thanks, that is great advice!
Mungee’s Ma recently posted: Did You Know

Carol Ann July 12, 2010 at 7:03 am

This is exactlty the resource I need at the most perfect time. I have a strong willed child, since baby came along 15 months ago, some of the misbehaviors blow my mind and then she turns around and is the best child ever. I don’t understand it. I’m going to start clicking around and reading up now, and then I’ll probably go and buy a book!

July 12, 2010 at 10:59 am

Cool. I hope you find some useful stuff here. And let me know if you want me to cover any particular topic in a future article. 🙂 Thanks for visiting!
Heligirl recently posted: Bonzai-