Guest Post: Alabaster Cow – The Little Things

by Heligirl on July 15, 2010

in Daily Ramblings,Guest Posts

Today is a big new first here at Heligirl. I’ve done a blog swap with Ericka from Alabaster Cow. Hop on over to check out my brutally honest post about the guardian angel who entered my life when I was a pathetically miserable “victim” of my circumstance and taught me a simple, yet infinitely valuable lesson that changed my life – to take responsibility. It’s pretty deep, I’ll warn you now.

Ericka is a little more light hearted here on Heligirl for you all today. If you haven’t had the opportunity to get to know Ericka yet, you’re really missing out. She’s raw, honest and will quite seriously cause you to pee your pants at times if you’re not careful. She’s an aspiring author with an artist’s eye for the little details and a genius wit for sharing them in a way you’d never have expected. Any woman that throws herself into the country club pool at her own wedding is definitely walking to the beat of her own drummer. And she’s hot. Please join me in welcoming Ericka.

Little Things

It’s the little things now.

Taking a piss without somebody leering at me, blow drying my hair without little fingers tangling the mess. It’s getting ready for lunch with a friend without having to soak up the dog’s water with my shower towel or tolerating a shivering pain up my calf from stepping, barefoot first, onto a plastic toy.

What used to be a given is a luxury and I’m not going to lie, it’s a pretty chalky pill to swallow. I mean there are actual days where I’m surprised no one has defecated on me and the sheer fact that my blouse (okay, fine my night shirt I wore the evening before) isn’t baby poo yellow is like completing a mini-marathon. I am that proud of myself.

Gone are the days of using a cell phone without someone trying to steal it (and not to make a call mind you, simply to babble into the mouth piece while waving her hands like a lunatic. Is that what I look like on the phone?). Gone are the days of napping at my leisure without getting poked in the eye.

I miss those days every time I step into a puddle of pee after finding a diaper thrown carelessly onto the living room rug and when I reach for my keys and realize I have to dig through the toys in the play pen to retrieve them from their hiding place. But I know if those days return I’d be losing more than calf pain and tangled hair. I’d be missing her:

Poopy shirts and missing keys don’t look so bad anymore.

___________________

Ahhh, yes, all those wonderful little things you totally took for granted before you became a parent. While I miss them, I’d never trade my life today to get them back. The hole left behind that my children fill today would be way too big. Amazing what we do to be parents, isn’t it? Just for giggles, please tell us the one “little thing” you miss the most.

For me, it’s coming home from work and being done. Still working part time, I come home a little worn out some days and wish I could just put my feet up, but I have to reach inside and find the energy to connect, play, cook, chat, feed, clean up, bathe and put the little creatures to bed before I can even think about sitting down. By then, I don’t have the energy to get a glass of wine some days. Pathetic, I know. But so worth it.

Did you see my post on Alabaster Cow? I’ve started a new Confessions category and will unveil a similar post, but a lot more humorous, tomorrow. Don’t forget to stop by for a giggle at what can only be too strange to be fiction.

themombshell July 15, 2010 at 6:18 am

greatness my dear, greatness. but there is always energy for wine, just drink out of the bottle, f@ck the glass.
themombshell recently posted: the smell of vinegar should have tipped you off

Heligirl July 15, 2010 at 7:48 am

You so rock! I get those cheapo big bottles at Costco. I can imagine my Hubby’s response when he comes out from kissing Sweetness goodnight and I have that bottle to my lips. He’ll either think, “oh hell, now what” or “Woo, hoo, I’m gonna get lucky!”

Wenmei July 15, 2010 at 7:11 am

I miss having a complete conversation with a friend over coffee, rather than a fragmented and frazzled collection of one-liners while I’m busy keeping track of/running after my two little ones. Even when I don’t have the children with me, I still can’t seem to carry on an extended conversation anymore. My brain has been chopped into child-friendly bite-sized snippets.

Heligirl July 15, 2010 at 7:51 am

I so her you. I actually wrote about this a while back: http://www.heligirl.com/2010/05/23/mommy-brain-madness/ I called it MADD-TTDOYHAPIBOYS (mommy attention deficit dis-, take that diaper off your head and put it back on your sister!)

I think we can all relate to that. When I get alone with a pal who also has kids we sometimes still have disjointed conversations because we don’t know how to have a full, uninterrupted one anymore. Ha, ha!

ericka @ alabaster cow July 15, 2010 at 7:12 am

thanks so much jen! i enjoyed the swap! 🙂
ericka @ alabaster cow recently posted: jen is a glass half full kinda gal

Heligirl July 15, 2010 at 7:54 am

Oh thank YOU Ericka! This was fun.

ericka @ alabaster cow July 15, 2010 at 8:00 am

where will you be attending bloggy boot camp? forgive me if you told me but it’s 11 and i still haven’t had my coffee!! i’ll be going to austin!
ericka @ alabaster cow recently posted: jen is a glass half full kinda gal

Heligirl July 15, 2010 at 8:12 am

Bummer! I’m attending in San Francisco August 21.

SharleneT
Twitter: solarchief
July 15, 2010 at 8:57 am

The privacy of going to the toilet was the thing I missed the most — I’d get the girls, the dog, the cat, even hubby coming in for this or that, apparently incapable of waiting 8.5476 seconds until I was had finished… but, wouldn’t trade them for the world and would give anything to have my dear hubby and beautiful daughter back… so, I could complain about them, of course… come visit when you can… love the guest posting

Twitter: SolarChief
SharleneT recently posted: Baby Orchard Produces – Well- Babies-

Heligirl July 15, 2010 at 9:02 am

Oh how you’ve so expertly foreshadowed tomorrow’s post. You just HAVE to come back to see it now. Just have to …

Carol Ann July 16, 2010 at 9:48 am

I miss sleeping in…like sleeping in until noon. Now “sleeping in” is sleeping past 7, and that just plain sucks. But it’s worth it when I wake to sleepy little faces, gap toothed grins, and chubby cheeks.
Carol Ann recently posted: Thankful Thursday – An Open Letter to My Momma

Heligirl July 16, 2010 at 10:13 am

Oh yes, the old “oh my God, I slept until 7, it’s a miracle” sensation. Very familiar with that one. 🙂

Lucy @ lucille in the sky
Twitter: lucilleinthesky
July 17, 2010 at 7:03 am

Yay Ericka!! I could have written this post. There are so many things that I took for granted before I became a mommy. Now I don’t even have time to wash my hair or sleep 8 hours. But I have cute little baby toes to kiss instead 🙂 Heligirl, I’m glad to find you!

Heligirl July 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Welcome Lucy! Great to have you visit. Mind the dog poo…

Alexandra July 18, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I loved your post over at alabaster cow.

It says so much, and it changed your life.

Don’t you wish more people would get it? I wish Ihadn’t gotten it a lot sooner than I did.

Good for you!
Alexandra recently posted: Your Mother

Heligirl July 19, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Alexandra. Yes, it’s nice when we have those experiences and especially nice when you’re past them and can look back. 🙂

Kerri July 19, 2010 at 5:37 am

I have to say it tied between going to the bathroom ALONE (one child, 3 dogs, and yes, a hubby) and speakingwith an adult. Although my son IS almost 4, and therefore thinks he is “ready to be a Daddy now.” (Mostly because he realized he has hair growing on is legs). Oy.

Heligirl July 19, 2010 at 2:08 pm

LOL, I think I need to go change my undies now. I laughed too hard at that comment from your son. If he only knew what was coming. 🙂