7 Summer Must Dos Before Labor Day

by Heligirl on July 20, 2010

I was plugging away at work this morning when I looked up to check the date to include on a letter. When I saw July 20 staring me in the face I had a little panic attack. July 20 already? The summer is half over. I have only seven more weeks to play before the kids are back in school.

You see, I have Wednesdays off and negotiated that at the beginning of last school year. During the school year, that’s when I participate in the classroom. But during the summer, that’s our day to play, just the kids and me. They’re just starting to get into playing with mom and I want to cherish every bit of this precious time while I can. Too soon they’ll be teenagers and spend their time telling me how uncool I am and to go away.

I waited all year for this slew of Wednesdays just for us. It can’t possibly be winding down yet. And at the rate time flies these days, I’m sure I’m not alone. So I pulled out my to-do list and maybe we can inspire each other to make sure to schedule at least one special thing each week before September.

1. Hit the wading pool. Our parks have lots of wading pools and with budget cuts, different ones are open different times and days. Sure, it takes time and organization to get to these – pack swimsuits, lotion, towels, swim diapers, regular diapers, hats, snacks, drinks, wipes, toys, yadda yadda. But the fun the kids will have makes it all worth it. I’ll see if another mommy pal wants to go too.
  2. Go Farrel-McWhirter Farm Park. It’s a great park just across Lake Washington where there is a children’s animal farm. It’s on a small scale, and has the typical animals found at the petting zoo, but on a nice sunny day the kids would get a kick out of it. Sweetness is really into animals and farms. She’ll help teach Mr. Man animal names and sounds for sure. We can take a picnic lunch too.
  3. Go back to the beach. I found this really great beach area up in Edmonds where I can take the kids to play in the sand. Our visit was really short the first time and I’d like to take a little more time to play there. Maybe dad will come over on the ferry and join us again. I could lazy away a full morning watching the kids play in the sand.
  4. Go to the Imagine Children’s Museum in Everett. I took the kids one weekend and LOVED it. I bought a membership thinking I’d take advantage of it lots this summer. I’ve yet to return. It’s going to be a lot of work chasing one while carrying the other, but Mr. Man is getting good at riding in the Ergo on my back and Sweetness would just explode at the idea of playing there again.
  5. Visit Camp Long. It’s one of Seattle’s best kept secrets and is just up the street. It’s a little piece of nature playground in the city with trails, forest, rock climbing and even a stream. I have a Jeep stroller so hitting the trails with Mr. Man taking the ride and Sweetness leading the way sounds like a lovely way to spend the day. I’ll pick a really warm day were being in the trees will be mighty comfortable.
  6. Go to the Museum of Flight. I put on a helicopter show there every June and got a membership for the kids and me. With Sweetness being totally into anything airplane or helicopter, we could spend a whole day there and she’d be in heaven. We’ll plan to have lunch together in the cafe.
  7. Take a walk in the Seattle Art Museum’s Olympic Sculpture Park. I’ve never been and think it would be a great exercise, fun for Mr. Man to take a stroller ride and Sweetness to check out the funky art. We’ll pack a snack and make a long morning out of it.

Wow, looking at that list I think it’s rather lame that I haven’t done more of this yet. But I’ve vowed we’ll check them out this summer. Even if you don’t live here in Seattle, I hope this has at least sparked some ideas of things to do in your own neck of the woods. What are some things you’ll try to do before the summer is done, either by yourself or with kids? And if you know of something in the Seattle area, please do share!

If you’d like to expand your horizons a bit, here’s a great article on things to do around Western Washington. Some extend into other seasons and there’s no lack of fun stuff here.

homemom3 July 20, 2010 at 7:44 am

The museum and the park (camp) sounds like the most fun. Currently we’ve been to a lot of movies but I haven’t really got the chance to just have fun with the kids yet. Hopefully once we are done with our summer move I can at least take them to the park and have some fun. Great list.

Found you through #31DBBB and SITSgirls
homemom3 recently posted: Top 10 Things to Bring to Hotels

Heligirl July 20, 2010 at 10:18 am

Oh man, moving is no fun whatsoever. I hope you do get time to take out of the busy-ness of it all to do some fun summer things. The kids are only young for such a short time.

Great meeting you, BTW!

Sara R-The Millennial Housewife July 20, 2010 at 7:51 am

Stopping by from the 31DBBB challenge. Great list – I had the same thoughts last week – so much to do and so little summer left!! Great blog!
Sara R-The Millennial Housewife recently posted: Quiznos Coupon is back!

Heligirl July 20, 2010 at 10:20 am

Yes, I hear you. It all ties into one section of my positive discipline, come to think of it. I should have mentioned that. Taking the time to develop these memories and do these special things with the kids on a regular basis builds connections with them. The positive attention and connections go a long way in reducing bad behaviors. 🙂 OK, ramble ramble. But there you have it. 🙂

Kristina July 20, 2010 at 8:35 am

Great list! Summer always seems to go by so fast, huh? I’ve got similar items on my summer itinerary here on LI, and the Long Island Children’s museum is a favorite with my kids. With the membership you got, you probably even get complimentary reciprocal admission to most of the children’s museums in the US, just in case you guys travel to any other cities this summer.
Kristina recently posted: 5 Baby Shower Gift Ideas Under 30 and Better Than Diaper Cakes

Heligirl July 20, 2010 at 10:23 am

Absutively Kristina. We’re looking forward to trying out our memberships at other places. We’re not really traveling far this year, but soon. We have a zoo membership and drive down to Portland from time to time. We plan to take the kids to that zoo sometime soon on the reciprocal plan. (LOL, for a moment there reading your comment I thought you were going to suggest we pop on over to the LI Children’s Museum. 🙂 )

Sandy July 20, 2010 at 9:47 am

Great list! I cannot believe the summer is nearly over. Hope you get to check all of those things off of your list.

Stopping by from 31DBBB / SITS.
Sandy recently posted: Today I am Thankful

Heligirl July 20, 2010 at 10:24 am

Definitely. Tomorrow is Wednesday and I’m planning to tick one off the list. I’ll decide which one this evening based on how the kids are doing (Mr. Man is teething and has the patience of a hornet at the moment) and the weather. I must remember to take the camera and post follow up photos to prove I was there. Ha, ha!

Meredith {My Magic Mom} July 20, 2010 at 10:49 am

I have the same feelings, but we only have 2 weeks left before school starts back! A trip to the beach and some time to finish back to school shopping/packing is about all we will be doing. I’m shoving as many trips to the pool and fun in as possible this week!

July 20, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Oh man, I’m so sorry Meredith. I hope you have a great trip to the beach. Those are some of my best memories as a kid so I’m having fun doing them with the kids.
Heligirl recently posted: 7 Summer Must Dos Before Labor Day

Kate Walton July 20, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Great list, Jen! Wednesday is my kid day too, so if you want company on any of these outings, just let me know.

July 20, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Kate, I’d love it. Maybe we can plan a visit at Edmonds. You can come over on the Kingston Ferry and we can play on the beach then have lunch at one of the places right there. 🙂
Heligirl recently posted: 7 Summer Must Dos Before Labor Day

Michelle July 20, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Stopping by from the challenge. I love these ideas. I must get my family back to the beach real soon!
Michelle recently posted: Like Mother- Like Daughter

Kimberly July 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I was just talking to my girlfriend about the summer being almost over. I can’t believe it! I know this sounds lame but as long as you spend time with your kids, does it really matter where you are? All the things you want to do sound great but if you don’t get through all of them–no biggie! Don’t sweat it! As a child once myself, what I remember most about my mom was the little things we did. They are the memories I treasure the most!
Kimberly recently posted: Get A Bootylicious Butt- 4 Exercises That Will Help You Define- Tone and Sculpt Your Backside Today!

Heligirl July 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Thanks for the reminder Kimberly. The little things really are special and just as easy to do and cherish. Thanks again.

Sonia Barton July 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm

You know that’s what I said to the Mail clerk at the post office today. The summer is half gone! I was so worried about not having enough money for Hawai’i I wouldn’t spend a dime for several months. I think it’s time to go out and do the little stuff. Love the post!
Sonia Barton recently posted: 31DBBB Day 1- Write an Elevator Pitch

Heligirl July 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I think the things the kids like best at this age are the easy, simple free stuff around town. I love the excuse to get out and spend time in new places with the kids. 🙂

Sonia Barton July 21, 2010 at 8:48 am

Your right, but It’s not just the little one’s. The two I’ve got back home are 25 and 19, and don’t forget the permanent Big Kid around here! They have summer cabin fever because there have been no one day trips to the beach – one night camping to the lake, stuff like that. I think we all like the little stuff, so for those of you saving for the Large trip, don’t forget the little one’s – You’ll soon have a house full of nuts 🙂
Sonia Barton recently posted: 31DBBB Day 1- Write an Elevator Pitch

Mary July 20, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I’m looking forward to reading about what you picked out to do tomorrow! Your list inspired me to think about what to do on my own days off. My kids have flown the nest but I have a free day off every now and then and a “To do list” of things to do would be fun to have. Thanks!

Heligirl July 20, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Thanks. That’s so cool that this list inspired you. I love it. I’ll be posting photos tomorrow. 🙂

Megan July 20, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Nice to meet another local! =)

I love Edmonds Beach. I’ve gone there my whole life! My mom and my sister have a membership to the Imagine Children’s Museum and go there a lot with my nephews. I’ve been there once and was impressed!
Megan recently posted: Things To Do In Western Washington

July 21, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Yeah, fellow local blogger. Nice to meet you Megan and I LOVED your post on things to do in Western Washington. 🙂
Heligirl recently posted: 7 Summer Must Dos Before Labor Day

Susan July 24, 2010 at 8:30 am

We just went to the Museum of Flight the other day. It was so cool! I’ll have to remember your helicopter show for next June. My 7 yr. old was so unbelievably stoked to walk through Air Force One.

I KWYM about the summer screaming by. We painted our house a few weeks ago, and I’m slowly working on the trim…by myself… while dealing with the little man and everything else. It will get done (my mantra at this point)… before we go away on Aug. 5.

Heligirl July 25, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I hope you do plan to come to the helicopter show. Good luck with the painting. What a chore!