Life Changes in an Instant

by Heligirl on August 3, 2010

Sweetness was driving me nuts last week. She was deeply entrenched in her “no” phase; using my floor as a toilet all week, refusing to get the hang of potty training; and was slapping her brother no less than 3,456 times a day. By Wednesday I was running out of patience with her.

My focus shifted when I got to work Thursday.

My coworker came to me ashen faced. “I just have to talk to someone about this.”

She told me of an e-mail she just received from a friend. This friend was e-mailing everyone she knew asking for prayers for her friend’s daughter.

The friend had been mowing the lawn on a riding mower. Her 2 and 4 year old daughters were in the yard. Somehow she backed over her 2 year old, right in front of her 4 year old.

My heart stopped as my coworker went on.

The little girl was critical. She’d lost a lot of blood and her legs below the knees. She was in the ICU.

My baby girl.

All I could think of was my little Sweetness. How she loved to run, jump, play soccer with daddy, ride her riding toys, and go for walks. I started to cry. I also thought of how that poor little girl’s mom was feeling. I’d be near suicidal with the horrible guilt of what I’d done to my baby. I don’t know if I’d be able to function. That mommy needed lots of prayers too.

Suddenly potty training, all the “no’s”, the brother slapping and everything else seemed so very, very petty. My baby girl was alive, well and in one piece. She was overall a very happy, healthy and normal little 2-year-old. I needed to hug her in the worst way.

When I got home from work and picked her up from daycare and hugged the stuffing out of her. I asked her what she wanted to do and she told me she wanted to go to the Museum of Flight, where she’d been the day before and had been asking about ever since. We went straight there. We did whatever she wanted – walking through planes, playing with helicopters, and even picking out a rocket launcher toy we could play with in the backyard. We then came home to a snack and a diaper. I stopped trying to potty train her that day, instead just letting her tell me when she was ready.

The tragic event that happened to that little girl and her mommy was a horrible reminder that things can change in an instant and every moment should be cherished. Sweetness just needed some fun time and no pressure, and we’d been fighting instead. I made a change that day and we’re both feeling much less stress.

I will never claim to understand why such terrible things happen to little children, but one thing is certain. They will always serve as a reminder of how precious life is and how we need to cherish each moment.

Gina August 3, 2010 at 12:22 pm

How scary and sad – best wishes to that poor little girl. This really puts a lot of the little things in life into perspective!
Gina recently posted: Oh Shea Can You See

Colleen August 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Oh this is just the most horrifying story. I feel so terribly bad for that family. I can’t even imagine how the mom is feeling. My prayers go out to them and I hope she recovers.

It is a hard story to help put things in perspective but on the positive side I hope Sweetness feels the love and eventually she will be ready to potty train.

Hugs
Colleen
Colleen recently posted: Happy Birthday Buddy!

LCW August 3, 2010 at 1:24 pm

So scary and sad. I’ve been feeling frustrated this week and I need to be thankful I have a little girl to cry for me.

Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom) August 3, 2010 at 1:59 pm

What a horrible trajedy, that is just beyond sad. It really does put most everything in perspective. I’m glad you had a nice peaceful day with your daughter. Prayers and thoughts with that little girl and her family.
Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom) recently posted: Guest PostGeneration X Mom is Talking Birthdays

Shell August 3, 2010 at 2:03 pm

How tragic.

Definitely changes my perspective. What I see as big issues with my kids…really aren’t.

Alana Morales, Author Domestically Challenged August 3, 2010 at 2:43 pm

How terrible! Please post an update. Off to hug the kiddos!

Kristina August 3, 2010 at 3:13 pm

How incredibly heartbreaking! What a HORRIBLE accident. I can’t imagine the amount of guilt the mother is feeling, and I am aching for the sister who witnessed it.

This is one reason why I don’t think I’d ever be able to be in the healthcare profession. I would probably burst into tears in the middle of the ER every time I came across a patient with a tragic story.
Kristina recently posted: Mothers- Are We The Ultimate Masochists

The Bipolar Diva August 3, 2010 at 4:10 pm

How awful! My son was the pedestrian victim of a hit and run on Halloween last year. When we first got the call they said “brain damage, spine damage, neck damage and a severely deformed leg.” Thank goodness it turned out to only be his leg and they could re-build that. The man that hit him was found and goes on trial the 24th of this month.
Thank you for reminding us all how precious, and fragile, life is.

Teri
The Bipolar Diva recently posted: Take a Stand Already!

August 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Oh my goodness, that’s terrible! I’m glad he was OK in the end. The doctors do have a way of setting our expectations to scary levels, don’t they. I call it the “Scotty Phenomenon.” Remember Scotty from Star Trek would always tell the captain that it would take much longer than it really would to do something. That way when if was done so much sooner he looked like a genius. Hugs.

Pamela August 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm

That’s horrible – poor little girl & her parents! You’re so right – all those little annoyances are really so petty once we put them into perspective.
Your little girl is such a cutie – I’m glad you both enjoyed the museum of flight – sounds like she’s taking after Mom:)
Pamela recently posted: The Blue Box – Part Deux

Mungee's Ma August 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Oh my heart just breaks at stories like that! I’m glad that you and Sweetness are enjoying this new, no pressure time together.
Mungee’s Ma recently posted: Mungees First Days – Part 4 – The Conclusion Days 7-15 and a few other random days

Melissa {adventuroo} August 3, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Oh my heart breaks just reading that. What an absolutely awful situation. I’ll definitely be sending prayers. I can’t imagine.
Melissa {adventuroo} recently posted: How to Improve Your Writing Without Improving Your Writing

Susan August 3, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Trying not to bawl with my son in the room. Such a horrible accident. Really does put things in perspective.

SharleneT
Twitter: solarchief
August 3, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I can’t even imagine the trauma and guilt that young mother must be going through… I was shocked, just reading about it… her whole family will be kept in my prayers, with a special request that relatives and friends refrain from making her feel even more guilty by telling her what she should have done… the truly sad thing is, I don’t think that marriage will last…

Twitter: SolarChief
SharleneT recently posted: No Impure Thoughts Keep My Prize Fairy Working Overtime!

Carol Ann August 4, 2010 at 9:03 am

Stories like this rip at my heart and I needed to read that today. I needed to be reminded that each day is a gift, no one knows what tomorrow will bring, and to not sweat the small stuff.

I will pray for this family.

August 4, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Thank you so much for your comments everyone. I know some of you wanted to be updated on the status of this poor little girl and her family. I just heard from my co-worker that the little girl is out of the ICU and doing very well. She told her mommy, “I love you Mommy.” According to the e-mail my coworker received, the little girl had said “I love you” before, but never with a “mommy” at the end. Her older sister also visited her. The older girl was pretty shaken up from witnessing the accident and seemed much, much better after seeing her little sister was “ok.”

Of course, the family has a long way to go (I still can’t imagine how I’d move past the guilt), but things are on the mend. I know I felt comfort from hearing all this from my coworker so I wanted to share it with you all too.

Momma Drama August 4, 2010 at 5:43 pm

that is such a tragic story. I’m glad that the little one is out of ICU! I hope the family can get past it in a happy healthy way… as hard as that might be.

LeeAnn August 5, 2010 at 10:34 am

Oh my gosh I am having such a hard time trying to hold back the tears right now. How horrible! And I’m with you, I don’t know how I would ever get past that guilt.

I just posted something today about how Rylie’s antics are driving me mad (and even told everyone I was coming here for advice), and this just really makes my post seem ridiculous. I am so lucky to have my two healthy kids, and I don’t EVER take that for granted.

I am so glad to hear that little girl is doing “OK”, because like you said, they all have a long road ahead of them. 🙁
LeeAnn recently posted: Make Up Your Mind!