Getting Kids to Listen Without Nagging, Reminding or Yelling

by Heligirl on August 9, 2010

in Daily Ramblings,Parenting Tidbits,Positive Discipline

If you’ve never had to nag, remind or yell in an attempt to get kids to listen, please raise your hand? (sound of crickets)

Ahh, I thought so. I know I’ve beat my head against the wall way too many times as my children suddenly become deaf or develop selective hearing the moment I need them to listen. My stress meter goes through the roof the more I try to be heard, and the more I’m ignored.

However, there is hope and you can change this frustrating and stressful cycle.

Amy McCready, founder of Positive Parenting Solutions, has agreed to provide a webinar for Heligirl readers, free to us all, on just this topic.

Save the date: Tuesday, Aug. 24, from 4-5 p.m. Pacific Time (1-2p.m. Eastern Time) AND Wednesday, Aug. 25, from 6-7 p.m. Pacific Time (9-10 p.m. Eastern) Click here for more details and to register. It’s free, remember.

I introduced Amy last month after I took one of her webinars. She runs a very comprehensive educational website chocked full of parenting advice focused solely toward helping parents raise capable, well behaved children with high self esteem.

I can’t begin to tell you how valuable the information was for me. I’ve been studying positive parenting for almost two years and I still got a ton of valuable information from her. There’s just something about having things presented to you and your questions answered in real time that can’t be beat by reading all the books on the topic.

The webinar gave me concrete skills that I could implement immediately to make my life less stressful.

Many people responded in comments and e-mails to my post on Punishment is Not the Answer this past weekend, some with questions on how to avoid punishment. In that post I mentioned logical consequences as an alternative.

Amy’s seminar breaks out how to choose, implement and stand by logical consequences in a way that both respects your child while also bringing about the corrective behavior you’re seeking. And that’s just one of the many things she discusses.

In the webinar you also learn about the root causes of children misbehaving – lack of significance and power – and how to supply both of those in loving and respectful ways, thus reducing misbehavior in your home.

The day after I took this seminar, I started putting the tools to work. I have to say, while I do slip up and raise my voice from time to time, I have had to do it a lot less. I feel more in control, but the really great thing is so does my daughter. It’s a win-win that is bringing about far more cooperation in our home. And the tools I’ve learned aren’t just for getting kids to listen. They’ve worked to increase their cooperation, participation, initiative and even helpfulness.

The webinar was like none other that I’ve taken. Amy is right there live, a video image of her is in the upper left corner the whole time. She sends you a note taking sheet ahead of time with lots of the valuable info and hints on the important aspects of the webinar to include in your notes so you don’t miss a thing. As she talks with you, you watch her PowerPoint presentation that is packed with valuable background, information and examples.

Another thing I absolutely loved about her presentation is she stops from time to time to ask us questions about our difficulties and needs when it comes to getting our kids to listen. We respond in a poll and she tailors the presentation based off our responses.

You also have the option to write in specific questions and she’ll address them, right there for you. I could take this webinar five times and get something new out of it each time.

And it’s free.

Sorry if I sound all sales pitchy. I’m not getting paid to write this post. I’m just really excited about her information and, as you know if you visit often, I’m passionate about positive discipline/positive parenting. Punishment is not the answer and valuable information like what Amy shares gives you the tools to develop capable, cooperative, happy children.

My former post about Amy’s seminar gives you a little more information about the tools the seminar covers if you want more background.

Please, consider clearing your calendar, getting someone to watch the kids for an hour (if they’re not already in bed), grab your notebook and plan to join Amy and me at your computer next Tuesday, Aug. 24 from 1-2 p.m. Pacific (4-5 p.m. Eastern) and Wednesday, Aug. 25 from 6-7 p.m. Pacific (9-10 p.m. Eastern).

Sign up by clicking here. Your confirmation, instructions on how to log in and note sheets will be sent via e-mail, as well as a welcome by Amy herself.

Please help me get the word out by retweeting this post and linking to it on Facebook. For a better Facebook friendly link, click here. I really do want to share this with as many parents as possible. If all they do is take the webinar, they’ll be steps ahead in working with their kids.

And please, don’t hesitate to leave a comment or drop me an e-mail (heligirljen (at) gmail (dot) com) if you have any questions. I hope to see you there!

Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom) August 9, 2010 at 9:58 am

This sounds wonderful Jen. I’m going to sign up, thought that time might be a little tricky. I could really use this information, and I think it will be a great service for others. I admire your passion on this subject!
Melissa (Confessions of a Dr.Mom) recently posted: Monday Morning Mamas

August 9, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I hope you can sign up. It was hard to choose a time that would work on both coasts. Any earlier and folks on the West Coast are pressed, any later and the East Coast is sleeping. :)

Colleen (Shibley Smiles) August 9, 2010 at 10:18 am

I’m all signed up, reminder in my calendar and I tweeted. Thanks for this great opportunity.
Colleen (Shibley Smiles) recently posted: Random Tips- Fact or Malarky

August 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Thanks so much for signing up. You’re going to love this and I really think it will give you some great ideas.

Carol Ann August 9, 2010 at 10:59 am

I will sign up and talk the hubs in to participating with me! I’m quickly seeing the benefits to this parenting approach.

**and I think the date you cited towards the end might be incorrect because it doesn’t match the one toward the top of the post.

August 9, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Talk about dyslexia with numbers. :) I got it fixed.

Alana Morales August 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm

This is a fantastic offer – if you don’t mind, I’m going to include it in my weekly roundup later this week. I think a lot of parents could benefit from this.
Alana Morales recently posted: Menu Plan Monday – Crock Pot Recipes

August 9, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Please do. I’m hoping people share it all over the place. She only does these every so often so we’re really lucky to have one for us!!

melaina August 9, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Heligirl! i’m glad that you and your hubby are going to get to have some time together soon too!
melaina recently posted: You get what you pay for

Katie August 9, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I’m totally there! I have been reading all of your resources, and am very interested in this. Hopefully me and Hubby can do this together. Heading over to sign up now, and already retweeted!
Katie recently posted: The ER Minus any Hot Doctors

August 10, 2010 at 7:44 am

I’m psyched you’ll join us! What you learn in this webinar is just so helpful. :)
Heligirl recently posted: Getting Kids to Listen Without Nagging- Reminding or Yelling

sexy legs and body August 9, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Definitely sounds worth taking a look at, have made a note of her web site, thanks for sharing.

I was wondering, do you still fly?

Have a wonderful week.

Colin.
sexy legs and body recently posted: MURANO GLASS -TRUE ART IN GLASS!

August 10, 2010 at 7:47 am

Hi Colin. I fly when given the opportunity, but don’t pay for it myself anymore. Been there done that. I’m about to load my new blog look here shortly, and will be adding a section where I’ll talk more about helicopters and my experiences with them (a big suggestion from lots of readers). Stop on by next week to check it out!

Momma Drama August 10, 2010 at 8:58 am

yay! I’m excited and I’m signing up now :)

didn’t know you’re rolling out a new section. neat. I can live vicariously through your flying stories!
Momma Drama recently posted: When Did My Kids Grow Up

August 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Oh I hope I can life up to the hype. :)

sexy legs and body August 10, 2010 at 9:55 am

Hi, thanks for replying, I am so looking forward to your new blog, I just love anything with wings or rotors, although I am not keen on flying. Maybe it is more a case of not being the pilot. I guess at my age I dont have to worry about that anymore.

Would love to read more about your experience and ventures as a pilot. I have to add, I have flown in helicopters (Bo 105) and the Pilatus Porter quite a lot as a policeman, and I have enjoyed every moment of that. But I am not keen on flying big passenger planes.

Before I get carried away here again, I will keep an eye out for your new blog…. !

Have a stunning day.

Colin.
sexy legs and body recently posted: MURANO GLASS -TRUE ART IN GLASS!

TVs Take August 26, 2010 at 10:00 am

Sorry I missed the seminar. My daughter is 18 months and presenting all kinds of parenting challenges. Now following you from Knee Deep in Mamahood
TVs Take recently posted: Being Sensitive To Criticism

shane August 31, 2011 at 3:01 am

I love to read more about your experience and ventures as a pilot, definitely sounds worth taking a look at, have made a note of her web site, thanks for sharing.
shane recently posted: 3D LIVE POOL GAME

Venus September 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm

This article is really very helpful, but its 2011 now, maybe you can have another seminar for this year. That would be great. :D
Venus recently posted: play car games

Cynthia September 15, 2011 at 1:51 am

Webinar is the best! I like to check out the links in your article.. They sounds pretty interesting to visit!
Cynthia recently posted: Who We Are

gin September 26, 2011 at 9:52 am

I am so looking forward to your new blog, I just love anything with wings or rotors, although I am not keen on flying. Maybe it is more a case of not being the pilot. | :P
gin recently posted: Watch Movie Online For Free Full Movie

mariecrise November 15, 2011 at 9:13 pm

thank you very much for your tips and ideas. this can be helpful to everyone.

{ 2 trackbacks }