The Big Day

by Heligirl on October 9, 2010

in Beyond Mommyhood,Daily Ramblings,Relationships

Today’s the big day. My mom is getting married after almost 30 years of bitter loneliness. We (my brother and I, among others I’m sure), were getting worried we’d not see the day. But, alas, here it is.

Mom has been unhappy for a long time and the transformation she undertook when she met this man was unmistakable. She suddenly had more patience, less anger and seemed to glow. Phone conversations were no longer dominated with complaints, but instead filled with stories of things she and her beau were doing. So it came as no surprise when they announced their engagement.

I’ve been a little out of touch with personal posts lately as my time was consumed with the planning, work and kids. This week mom’s sisters arrived from the East Coast. Last night was the first time in my 39 years I’ve had all three of my aunts and my mom in the same room with me. Kind of sad really. I’ve still not met 2/3 of my cousins (I have six and I’ve met 2). A story for another time.

So today I get to wear the dress. I unveiled it here when I joined the Mom Sexy Prom with the Mommyologist last spring.

Sweetness might be the flower girl. She was not so into it at the rehearsal last night so we’ll see if she pulls it off in a room full of people. I’ll have lots of photos to share soon and I promise a post about what it’s like to stand as matron of honor (with my brother next to me, would that be a bride’s groomsman?) and watch my mother marry her soul mate.

SharleneT
Twitter: solarchief
October 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm

You’re going to have a wonderful time… my siblings and I stood up for our parents when they renewed their vows on their 50th Anniversary! It’s really hard to describe because you’re their after the fact of when you were just a twinkle in their eyes before… so, enjoy, and post pix…
SharleneT recently posted: Solar Lamb Stew w-Butternut Squash-Apple Casserole

October 12, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Thanks Sharlene. I have photos lined up to post tomorrow. It was a very nice ceremony and I’m really happy for mom.

Making It Work Mom October 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm

How wonderful! I am so happy for your family – what an awesome experience in your life.
Can’t wait to hear how it went.

October 12, 2010 at 8:04 pm

It was pretty awesome. Thanks for the sweet comment. I’m posting photos tomorrow.

Lost In Mommyland October 10, 2010 at 4:58 am

I love happy endings….
Lost In Mommyland recently posted: Blondes Have More Fun

October 12, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Thanks. This one was a long time coming for mom. I’m just thrilled for her.

Pamela October 10, 2010 at 7:46 am

So nice for your Mom – everyone deserves to find their soul mate. Have a great time in your awesome dress!
Pamela recently posted: Alienating the neighbors one at a time

October 12, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I had a good time and the dress was fabulous. Yes, we all deserve to find our soul mate. 🙂

Susan October 10, 2010 at 9:03 am

Congratulations to your mother. I wish her long-lived happiness.

The only thing that has me concerned is that her attitude in life took having a man with her to “make her happpy.” I truly hope that she remains happy, even after the glow of new love wears off (after, say, the first 5 years). Unless she is content within her own skin, my fear is that eventually, those same old unhappy feelings will surface again.

I raise a glass in toast to them! And you look maaa-velous in that dress.
Susan recently posted: Builders vs Barriers- Inviting vs Directing

October 12, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Thanks Susan. I sure hope you’re right. Though it was after mom started focusing on things outside of herself that she met her new husband so here’s hoping that new outlook will break the old habits.

Susan October 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for the additional info. Sounds like she’s on a great path. Hope they have many years of happiness!
Susan recently posted: ET Update- Red Flags

Annie Dee October 15, 2010 at 7:57 am

That is so sweet! My mom will be 64 next month and never so much as had a boyfriend (that I know of) since she divorced from my dad 15 years ago. Maybe I’ll be on the lookout now. I would like some positive stories 🙂
Annie Dee recently posted: The Pumpkin Farm

October 15, 2010 at 8:50 am

Thanks for stopping by Annie!! Our moms are the same age. Mom divorced Dad in 1979. She’s had a few relationships since then. Sadly, one man we all love was killed in a skiing accident in 1989 and she’s not been really deeply serious about anyone until she met this great man, the first one we (my brother and I) really liked since. They met just after my daughter’s first birthday and it’s been so wonderful to have her so happy. They met dancing (Mom took up ballroom dancing and LOVES it). It keeps her fit and social. Maybe you can suggest something like that for you mom? Thanks again for visiting!!